???What are the signs and symptoms of atrial septal defect? Sometimes there are no symptoms, and other times there are symptoms of heart failure. Infants and children can have failure to thrive, and adults can develop shortness of breath, fatigue, and leg swelling. There?s also a risk of arrhythmias and paradoxical emboli from deep venous thrombosis.
???How do you diagnose an atrial septal defect? There?s a fixed split S2 and pulmonary ejection murmur that gets louder with age. On a chest X-ray there?s right heart dilation and prominent pulmonary vascularity. An atrial septal defect can be visualized on an echocardiogram.
???How do you treat an atrial septal defect? It usually requires no treatment, but some patients require a cardiac catheterization closure or open-heart surgery.
- "Atrial septal defect" ()
- "Heart embryology video" (2011)
- "Fetal circulation." (2016)
- "Robbins Basic Pathology (10 edition)" Elsevier (2017)
- "Classification of atrial septal defects (ASDs), and clinical features and diagnosis of isolated ASDs in children" (2017)