Summary of Mercury poisoning
Mercury poisoning is a type of metal poisoning, due to exposure to mercury. Symptoms may include muscle weakness, poor coordination, numbness in the hands and feet, skin rashes, memory problems, trouble speaking, trouble hearing, or trouble seeing. Most exposure is from eating fish, amalgam-based dental fillings, or exposure at work. In those with acute poisoning from inorganic mercury salts, chelation with either dimercaptosuccinic acid or dimercaptopropane sulfonate appears to improve outcomes if given within a few hours of exposure. Exposure in children may result in acrodynia, also known as pink's disease, in which the skin becomes pink and peels.