0 / 8 complete
0 / 2 complete
Paracetamol toxicity, also known as acetaminophen toxicity, is caused by excessive use or overdose of the analgesic drug paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen in North America. Paracetamol toxicity can lead to liver damage and, in severe cases, liver failure.
People with paracetamol toxicity present with nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and jaundice. Treatment may involve administering N-acetylcysteine within 8 hours of the ingestion. It can also involve hemodialysis and liver transplant in case of severe liver damage.
Copyright © 2023 Elsevier, its licensors, and contributors. All rights are reserved, including those for text and data mining, AI training, and similar technologies.
Cookies are used by this site.
USMLE® is a joint program of the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME). COMLEX-USA® is a registered trademark of The National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners, Inc. NCLEX-RN® is a registered trademark of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, Inc. Test names and other trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are endorsed by nor affiliated with Osmosis or this website.