Work or power is defined as work per unit time, or force times distance. In terms of myocardial function, cardiac minute work is cardiac output multiplied by aortic pressure. Therefore, cardiac minute work can be considered to have two components: volume work, i.e., cardiac output, and pressure work, i.e., aortic pressure. Work can also be calculated as the area within the pressure-volume loop during one cardiac cycle.
- "Medical Physiology" Elsevier (2016)
- "Physiology" Elsevier (2017)
- "Principles of Anatomy and Physiology" Wiley (2014)
- "VOLUME ELASTICITY CHARACTERISTICS OF THE HUMAN AORTA AND PREDICTION OF THE STROKE VOLUME FROM THE PRESSURE PULSE" American Journal of Physiology-Legacy Content (1948)
- "Beyond ejection fraction: an integrative approach for assessment of cardiac structure and function in heart failure" European Heart Journal (2015)
- "Human Anatomy & Physiology" Pearson (2018)