Ethylene glycol poisoning

Summary of Ethylene glycol poisoning
Ethylene glycol poisoning is caused by the ingestion of ethylene glycol, the primary ingredient in automotive antifreeze. Ethylene glycol is a toxic, colorless, odorless, almost nonvolatile liquid with a sweet taste that is sometimes accidentally consumed by children and animals due to its sweetness. Following ingestion the symptoms of poisoning progress from signs similar to intoxication, vomiting, hyperventilation, metabolic acidosis, and cardiovascular dysfunction and finally acute kidney failure. The major cause of toxicity is not the ethylene glycol itself but its metabolites, mainly glycolic acid and oxalic acid.

Assessments
Ethylene glycol poisoning

Flashcards

0 / 7 complete

Questions

0 / 5 complete
High Yield Notes
15 pages
Flashcards

Ethylene glycol poisoning

7 flashcards
Preview

Ethylene glycol poisoning would have metabolic acidosis with a (high/low/normal) anion gap.

Questions

USMLE® Step 1 style questions USMLE

3 questions

USMLE® Step 2 style questions USMLE

2 questions
Preview

A 15-year-old male is brought to the emergency department by his parents because he was confused all morning. The patient goes into a coma 15 minutes later. His parents say he was drinking a homemade alcoholic beverage known as “moonshine” last night at this classmate’s house. The patient’s airway, breathing, and circulation are controlled. Laboratory results reveal anion gap metabolic acidosis. Which of the following is the next best step in management in this patient?