Mercury poisoning

Summary of Mercury poisoning
Mercury poisoning is a type of metal poisoning, due to exposure to mercury. Symptoms may include muscle weakness, poor coordination, numbness in the hands and feet, skin rashes, memory problems, trouble speaking, trouble hearing, or trouble seeing. Most exposure is from eating fish, amalgam-based dental fillings, or exposure at work. In those with acute poisoning from inorganic mercury salts, chelation with either dimercaptosuccinic acid or dimercaptopropane sulfonate appears to improve outcomes if given within a few hours of exposure. Exposure in children may result in acrodynia, also known as pink's disease, in which the skin becomes pink and peels.

Assessments
Mercury poisoning

Flashcards

0 / 8 complete

Questions

0 / 2 complete
High Yield Notes
15 pages
Flashcards

Mercury poisoning

8 flashcards
Preview

Dimercaprol and dimercaptosuccinic acid, also known as , are used to treat acute mercury poisoning.

Questions

USMLE® Step 1 style questions USMLE

2 questions

USMLE® Step 2 style questions USMLE

2 questions
Preview

A 50-year-old woman comes to the office with the complaint of loss of visual acuity. History reveals the patient also has increased sweating and leg pain. Social history reveals the patient eats a diet with a lot of fish. Vital signs reveals a blood pressure of 142/82 mmHg, a heart rate of 82/min, and a respiratory rate of 18/min. Physical examination shows decreased visual fields and decreased sensation to light touch and pinprick in the lower extremities. Laboratory data reveals a creatinine of 2.2 mg/dL and a BUN of 25 mg/dL. Which of the following is the most appropriate treatment for this patient? 

External References